• headerbg3

Fort Douglas Commander’s House, Salt Lake City

Between 1873 and 1875, soldiers and local contractors demolished nearly all of the original adobe Civil War structures at Fort Douglas and built a number of new red sandstone buildings which are still standing today. Among the buildings added was a new home for the post commander, located on the site of Brigadier General Patrick E. Connor's original residence and office. Located just opposite the chapel, this new building served for over five decades as the residence for the Commanding Officer, the highest ranking officer on the post, and thus was the first home at Fort Douglas to be constructed with indoor plumbing.

The 2-story stone portion of these quarters displays the distinctive Gothic Revival Style as seen at the rest of the fort. Following a fire in 1927 that badly damaged the second floor, the home was remodeled into quarters for lower ranking officers and the commanding officer was relocated.

The most recent rehabilitation of the building, now known as the Pierre Lassonde Entrepreneur Center, took place after over 50 years of vacancy. The restoration project was extensive and included restoration of the sandstone, repointing the exterior masonry, repairing the wood windows, removal of non-original additions, and replacing the concrete porch with a historically accurate wood porch. A complete structural upgrade was also completed as well as new mechanical, electrical, and fire systems.

The former Commanding Officer's House is now a vital part of the University of Utah.

Utah Heritage Foundation presented the award to the University of Utah.

General Contractor:  McCullough Engineering and Contracting